I wish installers patched round things like this, especially when they interface with standard mechanisms.

We have decided to have a look at Microsoft Dynamics CRM at work, and carrying out the installation seems fairly painless – until right at the end of the wizard I got an error.

“Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.MsiInstallServerAction failed. This update package could not be opened. Verify that the update package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Install update package”

It seems that the installer uses the Internet Explorer cache, which defaults to 50Mb. And guess what – the update is more than this, so it happily deletes it after downloading.

Fail! Simple increase the cache size and start again.